Commonly asked questions and a bit of background on graphic recording and facilitation.
What to Know Before Your Event
WHAT IS GRAPHIC FACILITATION AND GRAPHIC RECORDING?
Although it goes by many names, the essence of graphic recording is simple. Through keen listening, I capture and distill your ideas using hand drawn images and words, in real time. This large-scale illustrated map of the conversation is packed with information which can easily be seen, understood and remembered by the group during and long after the event. Beautiful images are created during the event, but the magic is in the process as people see their ideas come to life before their eyes, and understand how they fit in to the strategy, system or problem-solving process.
Graphic recording creates an engaging, motivating, fun and innovative environment to facilitate group understanding and creativity.
CAN YOU GIVE ME AN EXAMPLE OF HOW THAT FITS INTO MY EVENT?
If you're having a two-day leadership retreat, for example, where you need to have important discussions and make decisions, you want to be sure the key ideas are remembered and everyone is putting their best thought into it. During the process, there will be times wheneverybody is having a conversation together. I will be standing at the front of the room where I can be seen by the entire group with an 8x4 foot sheet of paper. I am listening for key ideas, synthesizing them and distilling them into a visual map while the group is talking so they see the picture emerge, literally seeing what they are saying!
I typically draw several of these maps each day, which can be used to remember or share what was discussed as the group moves forward. There are a lot of ways to use these maps to keep motivation high, encourage and support action, and continue to build a shared sense of vision in your group...shoot me an email if you're interested in learning how we can create a strategy for your event.
HOW CAN I USE GRAPHIC FACILITATION?
Pretty much any way you can imagine needing succinct, creative, engaging communication for your group to understand, remember and connect with a conversation or event. Here are some of my most common areas of work:
· Strategic planning & brainstorming
· Executive retreats
· Mapping out and refining key ideas of a business -- startup or well-established
· Creative communication campaigns
· Hand drawn explainer videos
· Custom illustrations for presentations
· Hand-drawn infographics
· Re-imagine your academic model
· Leadership development training
· Whatever you can think of...together we can create a custom visual process for you and your group!
DO YOU NEED TO KNOW THE CONTENT BEFORE THE EVENT?
No. Although having an idea of content ahead of time is nice and can help me prepare, it’s not necessary. That’s part of my job, to listen with an open mind and create spontaneously in the moment. Some people call it “flow” or “magic”. An agenda with speakers’ names shared before the event often gets me where I need to be.
WHERE ARE YOU WORKING DURING THE EVENT?
I strongly recommend that I set up in the front of the room where I can be seen by the participants. Graphic recording is most intriguing when participants have a clear view of the process -- seeing the content as it's developed is where graphic recording brings the most value. When participants see their ideas reflected, their minds are free to draw connections, see how each idea fits into the picture and think creatively. Sometimes flexibility is required and I can set up wherever the space allows. Good lighting is also preferred, although I do often carry a headlamp, just in case.
The Event's Over...What Happens Now?
WHEN WILL I GET DIGITAL VERSIONS OF THE GRAPHIC RECORDINGS?
Within 24 hours of the end of the event. If images are needed immediately or during the event, a digital capture fee is charged.
WHAT HAPPENS TO THE VISUAL MAP AFTER THE EVENT?
I photograph the hard copy of the finished map right after the event and you get to take the original with you, or I can have them shipped to you. I then digitally edit the images of your graphic maps and send the files to you to use as you see fit. Some ideas include:
- In your executive summary
- Printed and posted in offices to remind participants of the event and next steps
- As figures in scientific publications or posters
- Hang them in the conference room or hallway as a bright and energizing conversation starter
- Enhancing PowerPoint or Prezi presentations
- Engage with a wider audience on social media to keep the conversation going
- As beautiful and relevant phone or desktop backgrounds
- On your website to draw people in
- Distribute to participants as postcards, mouse pads, calendars...or whatever else embodies your organizational culture!
Fees & Pricing
DO YOU HAVE A NON-PROFIT RATE? DO YOU EVER WORK PRO-BONO?
Very rarely -- I appreciate good work being done in the world and give back in many ways such as supporting non-profit and educational organizations training the next generation of environmental leaders and facilitators at Colorado State University. I also serve on the Board for the Samburu Youth Education Fund which supports secondary education and women's rights in Samburu, Kenya. If you'd like to talk about your project, please contact me and we can see if it's a good fit.
HOW MUCH DOES It COST?
Please get in touch to discuss your project!
WHAT OTHER COSTS ARE ASSOCIATED WITH GRAPHIC FACILITATION?
Materials such as paper, markers and foam core or cardboard are not included in the general fee and will vary depending on the requirements of each event. Travel costs are also determined for each job. As mentioned above, digital files of the charts are included in my fees. If you need extremely high resolution images (to print a full-size copy, for example), I can have the images scanned for an additional fee.
Do You Make Those Cool Explainer Videos?
HOW MUCH DO EXPLAINER VIDEOS COST?
Cost varies on the project. There is a $5,000 minimum for videos. Length, complexity of content, services desired (script writing, story-boarding, illustration, voice recording, filming, editing) style, and time frame all factor into my fee structure. Head on over to the Contact page to inquire about your project.
HOW LONG DO VIDEOS TAKE?
As outlined above, the video process is complex. If I provide all services (script writing, story boarding, illustration, voice recording, filming, editing), my process typically takes about 3-7 weeks from when the contract is signed. If I am doing only story boarding and illustration, turn-around times are generally 2-3 weeks as long as feedback during the process is provided in a timely manner.
DO YOU DO WHITEBOARD-STYLE OR EXPLAINER VIDEOS?
Yes! And I work with you to make sure your message, imagery and style are captured in the videos. I'm not just a computer program or someone who doesn't understand your culture and vision, I really care about creating a video that will BEST capture YOUR message and carry it effectively into the minds and hearts of YOUR AUDIENCE to inspire them to action!
WHAT DOES THE VIDEO PROCESS LOOK LIKE?
The Short Version: See image below or Videos Page
· After an initial scoping phone call, I usually ask my clients to put together a bullet list of information they want included in the video script. Using that as an outline, I work with you to write an effective and engaging script to tell your story. I can give you a cost estimate before the script is completed, but need to see general concepts to provide a video budget.
· Once we've finalized the script, I put together some initial pencil or whiteboard sketches.
· We meet in person or through a video call and I walk you through the sequence of the illustrations, and get your feedback to make sure the imagery is exactly what you want and the way you like it.
· I re-work the sketches incorporating your feedback and share them with you to make sure your feedback was correctly incorporated. I also ask you to start thinking about who you'd like to do the narration for the video.
· **Two rounds of revisions are included in the contract. At this point, if additional revisions are needed, we re-visit the contract to make sure the time line and budget match the work being done.**
· Once you're stoked on the storyboard sketches, I practice, practice, practice and prep the materials I'll need to film the video.
· We film! This usually takes between 2 and 5 hours in the studio. I can either work with your in-house video production group, or do the filming and editing completely in-house. Project fees reflect whether filming and editing is done by you or me. The voice over narration can be done at the same time as filming or another time if it's more convenient.
· A rough cut is sent to you to make sure things are looking good
· You get the final video, files and all!
· Share that puppy, it's going to be amazing!
There are a lot of graphic recorders out there. Why you, Karina?
My deepest hope is you find the perfect match to make your project spectacular.
If you're looking for someone who...
can guide you through the process as a Thought Partner, not just a one-off artist;
has a deep knowledge of many things, and learns rather quickly;
is well-versed in scientific rigor and how to translate it to wonderfully engaging imagery;
is artistic-flexible AND organized-disciplined;
communicates in a clear, prompt and polite fashion;
shows up ready to rock, clear on expectations, well-prepared and with her own markers;
will capture your ideas beautifully and will leave you with content-rich illustrations, not just a pretty picture;
displays a delightful quick wit...
...I'm a good match for you. Come on over to the Contact page and get in touch so we can start collaborating asap.
CAN I LEARN HOW TO DO THIS?
Absolutely! I believe, through my own experience and what I've seen with others, that visual thinking and communication makes it easier to communicate complex ideas, be on the same page, quickly catch people up to speed, ignite creativity and makes collaborating more fun! I offer one-on-one and small group training sessions - get on over to the Contact page to start the conversation!
Not ready for a full-on training yet? You can sign up for my regular emails with drawing tips, insights and updates from me right here.
WHY DOES THIS STUFF WORK?
Research shows that people remember more, understand more, engage more and enjoy more when information is presented both visually and orally (Agerbeck, Brown & Isaacs, Chopyak, Kelly, Mullen & Thompson, Sibbet). When working through complex issues, simple pictures can facilitate clear, collaborative communication and understanding (Roam). Having a neutral party capturing key ideas makes our brains click into a different level of thinking to be more productive, creative, collaborative and engaged. Check out the Resources page to see articles and stories on the power of visual communication.
I DON'T LIVE IN COLORADO, HOW CAN WE WORK TOGETHER?
No problem! I often travel around the United States and internationally to be on-site for events, or I can utilize videoconferencing or phone calls to go through the Video Creation Process with you and make real-time edits so you can see the images and sequence.
SOUNDS COOL! HOW CAN I LEARN MORE ABOUT WORKING WITH YOU FOR MY PROJECT OR EVENT?
Please call me at (+1) 303-718-4541 or click here to email me. Cheers!
I DON'T HAVE A PROJECT AT THE MOMENT, BUT I LIKE WHAT YOU DO. HOW CAN I FOLLOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING AND LEARN A FEW OF YOUR DRAWING TRICKS?
Fantastic question! You can sign up for my emails with quick drawing tips and short updates by clicking "Yes, please!" in the email form on my Contact page. I can't wait to share simple, fun drawing tips and updates with you!